Goodwill Church was founded nearly 300 years ago in Montgomery, NY. We are one church, with four locations in Montgomery (our main location), New Paltz, Port Jervis, and Beacon. We have pastors at each location, who all preach from the same text each week, with their own personal reflections and expressions.
We, in Communion with Jesus Christ, are a Community of friends and families who love and trust Him and passionately pursue the Christ-like Character essential to fulfill our Commission to change our lives and world for Him.
To be a fun, safe, comfortable place where God and more and more of His people in New York's Hudson Valley have the time and room they need to meet and get to know one another. We will pioneer opportunities to offer faith, strengthen relationships, develop leaders, and help others.
To be a hub for revival in the Northeastern United States and beyond.
The Lindsay-Pohlman Chapel is the name given in dedication of our historic sanctuary, which dates back nearly 300 years. The name is given in remembrance of both Bertha Lindsay and Pastor Stewart Pohlman.
Bertha Lindsay left us in 2016 for Heaven. However, she also left behind a big gift for us to be used solely for the historic sanctuary. While she loved what we now call traditional worship, her motivations were always Gospel-driven. In dedicating the chapel in her name, we are recalling the richness of historical forms of worship, not just for posterity, but also for connection to our brothers and sisters in Christ down through the ages.
Pastor Stewart Pohlman served as Pastor of Goodwill Church for 23 years. It was his sole pastorate. He was famous for using the phrase, “pure, unadulterated garbage,” which was usually said to identify anything opposed to the Gospel or the Bible. Another of his favorite things to say was in regard to the pastorate, saying that “[it] was the worst job in the world, but the best calling.”
We celebrate Communion on the first weekend each month in our Montgomery and Port Jervis locations and every weekend in our New Paltz and Beacon locations. The Communion table is open to all those who trust in Christ alone for their salvation.
ESSENTIALS OF OUR FAITH
All Scripture is self-attesting and being Truth, requires our unreserved submission in all areas of life. The infallible Word of God, the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is a complete and unified witness to God's redemptive acts culminating in the incarnation of the Living Word, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the supreme and final authority on all matters on which it speaks. On this sure foundation, we affirm these additional Essentials of our Faith:
1. We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
2. Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
3. The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
4. Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God's free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
5. The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
6. Jesus Christ will come again to the earth-personally, visibly, and bodily-to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. "Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Rev. 22:20)
7. The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to "Him who loved us and gave Himself for us." He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Eph. 2:10)
These Essentials are set forth in greater detail in the Westminster Confession of Faith.